Barcelona Activa is the organization responsible for boosting economic policies and local development to ensure a better quality of life for the Barcelona citizens by promoting employment, encouraging entrepreneurship and offering support to companies from the perspective of the plural economy.
Barcelona Activa offers a whole range of services both for entrepreneurs living abroad and foreign companies looking to invest in Barcelona.
For foreign companies (international companies and investors):
The portfolio of services available includes the following:
- Information and advice on procedures to set up in Barcelona (legal, immigration, municipal permits and paperwork).
- Online business incorporation service.
- Support for recruitment searches, both for workers and students on training internships.
- Searches for suitable business locations for firms (office buildings, warehouses or land), and temporary office space rentals (coworking). Soft-landing office space for 3 months.
- Information about specialist private suppliers.
- Liaison with other stakeholders in the city.
For foreign entrepreneurs (individuals who want to start a fresh business activity in Barcelona)
Barcelona Activa supports you to start a new business in Barcelona with a wide portfolio of services:
- in the start and management of a business with expert advice and daily seminars,
- to get to know and carry out legal procedures with updated information and tools,
- to get expert advice for the preparation of your business plan and the evaluation of its feasibility,
- incubation services.
This City's Cases
Settling as a founder
Are you starting a project in Barcelona? If you are coming to live here, we’d like to make your arrival easier for you and offer you the information and advice you will need to establish yourself here, from formalities to daily practicalities. You will also be able to take part in numerous activities to find out everything the city offers you, share experiences, establish links and make new friends. Read more here.
Before you start with the various types of procedures, you will need to identify the main requirements you have to satisfy for moving here:
- Not being on Spanish territory illegally.
- Having no criminal record in Spain and in the countries you have resided in over the last five years.
- Not having been banned from entering Spain or listed as a persona non grata in the territorial space of countries that Spain has signed a treaty with to such effect.
- Having sufficient financial resources for yourself and the members of your family during your stay of residence in Spain.
- Having an insurance policy against illness taken out with an insurer that is duly authorised to operate in Spain.
- Paying the corresponding fees for processing your documents.
IMMIGRATIONPROCEDURES FOR EU CITIZENS
All EU citizens residing in Spain will enjoy equal treatment with Spanish citizens. This right extends to family members who are not
citizens of a member state of the European Union or the European Economic Space. As a result, they will be able to benefit from the right of temporary and permanent residence.
- If you plan to be in Spain for no more than three months, you do not need to carry out any immigration procedure. You only need to have a valid passport or identity document (ID).
- If you intend to stay for more than three months or establish your residence in Spain, you will have to apply for a Certificate of registration as a EU national (Certificat de registre de ciutadà de la Unió). As for non-EU family members, the document they need to obtain is the Residence Card for family members of EU nationals (Targeta de residència de familiar de ciutadà de la Unió).
IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES FOR NON-EU CITIZENS
Visa and permits provided for under the ““Foreign Nationals Act” are as follows:
- Residence and employment
- Residence and self-employment
- Non-working residence (residing without carrying out any working or remunerative activity)
- Stay for studies
The statute is aimed mainly at skilled immigrants and simplifies the processes under the general system, turning into a fast track for promoting the International mobility of professionals and executives and attracting foreign investment. It is a selective Act that does not depend on the situation of the internal labour market to allow foreign workers to enter, given that it is understood that they offer specialist skills.
The types of visa and permits provided for under the “Entrepreneurs Act” are as follows:
- Investors, who make a significant investment (in public debt, shares, investment funds, bank deposits or property investment, having several minimum limits).
- Entrepreneurs, who wish to carry out an entrepreneurial activity of general interest (whether because it creates jobs, has an important social and economic impact or contributes to scientific or technological innovation).
- Highly skilled professionals.
- Intra-corporate transfers, within a company or group of companyies established in Spain.
- Scientists and researchers.
“Moving to Barcelona” is practical guide for people moving to Barcelona, with useful information on various aspects of everyday life: housing, education, transport, social life, etc.
All residents must pay taxes applied by the different levels of public administration: the
Spanish Government, the regional and the local governments
The main direct taxes applicable in Spain are:
- Corporate income tax
- Personal income tax.
- Non-resident income tax
The main indirect taxes applicable in Spain are:
- Value added tax (VAT)
- Transfer and stamp tax
More information is available via barcelonactiva.cat
- Barcelona Activa, municipal support services for entrepreneurs and business creation
- Barcelona Activa, municipal landing services for foreign companies
- ACCIÓ – Catalonia Trade & Investment
- Official Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Shipping of Barcelona
Access to capital
Barcelona Activa provides expert advisory service to obtain the financing your business need
Access the following types of financial products:
- Public financing: obtain grants from autonomous community, state and European bodies (Catalonian Finance Institute (ICF), Centre for Industrial Technological Development (CDTI), National Innovation Company (ENISA) and the SME Instrument).
- Private financing: take part in activities that will put you in contact with private investors, such as investment forums or direct contact with business angel networks (BANC, BCN Business Angels, COAC xarxa d’inversors, Economistes BAN, Eix Technova, ESADE BANIESE Business Angels, Keiretsu Forum, ANTAI Business Angels i SeedRocket) or other operators (Inveready, Caixa Capital Risc, Active Venture Partners, Lanta Digital Ventures, Foro Capital Pymes, Nauta Capital…)
- Bank financing:benefit from bilateral arrangements and to get in touch with the main banks (Banc Sabadell, BBVA, Caixa d’Enginyers, La Caixa).
- Alternatives: access to crowdfunding platforms (The Crowd Angel, Arboribus, Mynbest Crowdfunding,Seed & click, com, LemonFruits, SociosInversores, Sýndesi Crowdfunding, ECrowd!, Crowdcube, Verkami, Worldcoo, LoanBookand NoviCap).
This service is only available to local residents.
Access to talent
Education is one of the government’s strategic priorities and considered to be essential to the region’s economic and social development.
Barcelona Activa provides services to assists you during the recruitmentprocess, from the identification of vacancies (search for candidates in the Barcelona Activa database and other recruitment sources), and the shortlisting and submission of candidates.
For more information follow this link or read the information on our website empreses.barcelonactiva.cat
Setting up your Company
Barcelona City Council offers a whole range of services and resources through Barcelona Activa, the local economic development
agency. Among other services, Barcelona Activa offers free, customised roadmaps for entrepreneurs that guide them, step-by-step, through the process of successfully starting a company in Barcelona. This roadmap includes:
- Various digital tools (also available in English), such as an online Business Plan.
- Spaces that can be used at no cost to design business projects and meet other entrepreneurs with whom to liaise in the Glòries Entrepreneurship Centre.
- A wide range of training seminars about starting out (some available in English).
- An expert advice service (also available in English) to assess the feasibility of a business project.
- A powerful municipal network of business incubators and technology parks for the most technologically innovative projects that launch activities with high added value for the city
For more information follow this link: emprenedoria.barcelonactiva.cat
Barcelona Activa’s Business Support Office (Oficina d’Atenció a les Empreses, OAE) offers a Business Landing service for Barcelonabased investment projects. This one-stop shop service, which is free of charge and fully confidential, includes:
- Information and advice about the process of setting up a subsidiary company or a branch in Barcelona
- Online service to rapidly set up a business
- Support in recruitment processes
- Services to assist in the search for suitable business locations
- Temporary soft-landing office spaces
- Information about potential suppliers
- Networking with other stakeholders in the business ecosystem
For more information follow this link: empreses.barcelonactiva.cat